Lectures in Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics
Presentation files and further information
- Endosymbiosis and the origin of bioenergetic organelles. Some history (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Endosymbiosis and the origin of bioenergetic organelles. A modern view (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Mitochondria as we know them and don't know them (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Why do chloroplasts and mitochondria have genomes? (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Co-location for Redox Regulation (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Mitochondria, ageing, and sex - energy versus fidelity (Acrobat, .pdf file)
Course web page
Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics web page
Molecular Biology of the Cell. Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, and Peter Walter. Fifth Edition 2007. Garland publishing.
• Fourth Edition online at NCBI...
Links and further reading
- Nick Lane homepage. Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution (Profile/Norton 2009).
- The ancestral symbiont sensor kinase CSK links photosynthesis with gene expression in chloroplasts. Puthiyaveetil et al. in PNAS, 2008. (.pdf file)
- Transcriptional control of photosynthesis genes: the evolutionarily conserved regulatory mechanism in plastid genome function. Puthiyaveetil S, Ibrahim IM, Jurić S, Jeličić B, Tomašić A, Fulgosi H, Allen JF (2010). Genome Biology and Evolution 2: 888-896.
- Lane N, Martin W. (2010) The energetics of genome complexity. Nature 467, 929-934.
- Energy transduction anchors genes in organelles. 2005 paper by Allen et al. (.pdf file).
- Mitochondria as we don’t know them. 2002 paper by Tielens et al. (.pdf file)
- The hydrogen hypothesis for the first eukaryote. 1998 paper by Martin and Müller. (.pdf file).
- On the origins of cells. 2003 paper by Martin and Russell (.pdf file)
- Origin of Life - The Movie! 2010 animation devised and narrated by William Martin, Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet, Duesseldorf.
- Lane N, Allen JF, Martin W (2010) How did LUCA make a living? Chemiosmosis in the origin of life. Bioessays 32: 271-280.
- Why have organelles retained genomes? Race et al., Trends in Genetics 1999. (pdf file).
- The function of genomes in bioenergetic organelles. 2003 paper by John F. Allen. (.pdf file).
- Co-location for Redox Regulation - CoRR. Web page by John F. Allen
Why do we still have a maternally inherited mitochondrial DNA? Insights from evolutionary medicine. 2007 Annual Review by Douglas C. Wallace (.pdf file).
A mitochondrial model for premature ageing of somatically cloned mammals. 1999 paper by Allen J. F. and Allen C. A. (.pdf file).
- Separate sexes and the mitochondrial theory of ageing. 1996 paper by John F. Allen. (.pdf file).
- Power for life. Book review. (.pdf file).
- Chloroplasts and mitochondria: functional genomics and evolution • Meeting • Book review (.pdf file) • Editorial introduction (.pdf file)
- Mitochondrion Reconstructed by Electron Tomography web site by T. G. Frey of San Diego State University.
John F. Allen web page
Lectures | Energy and Evolution | Membrane Biochemistry | Membrane Proteins | Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics | Inaugural Lecture | Rudi Lemberg Lectures
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.