Lectures in Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics
Presentation files and further information
- Endosymbiosis and the origin of bioenergetic organelles. Some history (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Endosymbiosis and the origin of bioenergetic organelles. A modern view (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Mitochondria as we know them and don't know them (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Why do chloroplasts and mitochondria have genomes? (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Co-location for Redox Regulation (Acrobat, .pdf file)
- Mitochondria, ageing, and sex - energy versus fidelity (Acrobat, .pdf file)
Molecular Biology of the Cell. Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, and Peter Walter. Fifth Edition 2007. Garland publishing.
• Fourth Edition online at NCBI...
Links and further reading
- Nick Lane homepage. Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution (Profile/Norton 2009).
- The ancestral symbiont sensor kinase CSK links photosynthesis with gene expression in chloroplasts. Puthiyaveetil et al. in PNAS, 2008. (.pdf file)
- Transcriptional control of photosynthesis genes: the evolutionarily conserved regulatory mechanism in plastid genome function. Puthiyaveetil S, Ibrahim IM, Jurić S, Jeličić B, Tomašić A, Fulgosi H, Allen JF (2010). Genome Biology and Evolution 2: 888-896.
- Lane N, Martin W. (2010) The energetics of genome complexity. Nature 467, 929-934.
- Energy transduction anchors genes in organelles. 2005 paper by Allen et al. (.pdf file).
- Mitochondria as we don’t know them. 2002 paper by Tielens et al. (.pdf file)
- The hydrogen hypothesis for the first eukaryote. 1998 paper by Martin and Müller. (.pdf file).
- On the origins of cells. 2003 paper by Martin and Russell (.pdf file)
- Origin of Life - The Movie! 2010 animation devised and narrated by William Martin, Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet, Duesseldorf.
- Lane N, Allen JF, Martin W (2010) How did LUCA make a living? Chemiosmosis in the origin of life. Bioessays 32: 271-280.
- Why have organelles retained genomes? Race et al., Trends in Genetics 1999. (pdf file).
- The function of genomes in bioenergetic organelles. 2003 paper by John F. Allen. (.pdf file).
- Co-location for Redox Regulation - CoRR. Web page by John F. Allen
Why do we still have a maternally inherited mitochondrial DNA? Insights from evolutionary medicine. 2007 Annual Review by Douglas C. Wallace (.pdf file).
A mitochondrial model for premature ageing of somatically cloned mammals. 1999 paper by Allen J. F. and Allen C. A. (.pdf file).
- Separate sexes and the mitochondrial theory of ageing. 1996 paper by John F. Allen. (.pdf file).
- Power for life. Book review. (.pdf file).
- Chloroplasts and mitochondria: functional genomics and evolution • Meeting • Book review (.pdf file) • Editorial introduction (.pdf file)
- Mitochondrion Reconstructed by Electron Tomography web site by T. G. Frey of San Diego State University.
John F. Allen web page
Lectures | Energy and Evolution | Membrane Biochemistry | Membrane Proteins | Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics | Inaugural Lecture | Rudi Lemberg Lectures
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.