The balancing act. Redox poise and signalling
Computer files used as the basis of the following presentations
- Plenary Lecture PL4 at the XIIth International Congress on Photosynthesis, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 23rd August 2001
- Seminars in Biochemistry, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 31st January 2002
- The Drummond Lecture, Queen Mary College, University of London, London, UK, 6th March 2002
Here is my PowerPoint file as presented in Brisbane.
The balancing act, Brisbane (PowerPoint, 6.5 MB)
Here is my PowerPoint file as presented in The Drummond Lecture at Queen Mary. Well, as I intended it to be presented...
The balancing act, Queen Mary (PowerPoint, 4.6 MB)
Here is the fluorescence movie the PowerPoint files will ask for.
pea.mov (QuickTime, 3.6 MB)
Concerning the fluorescence movie, here is an explanatory page on imaging state transitions and related topics.
Imaging chlorophyll fluorescence
If you came here just for the references, here they are.
Links in the references will download pdf files. Warning some pdf files are quite large (a few megabytes).
- Allen, J. F. (2001) EMBO Reports 2, 542-544
- Myers, J. (1971) Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 22, 289-312
- Hill, R. (1965) Essays Biochem. 1, 121-151
- Park, R. B. and Sane, P.V. (1971) Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 22, 395-430
- Albertsson, P.-Å. (2001) Trends Plant Sci. 6, 349-354
- Pfannschmidt, T. et al. (1999) IUBMB Life 48, 271-276
- Allen, J. F. (1992) BBA 1098, 275-225
- Allen, J.F. et al. (1981) Nature 291, 25-29
- Wollman, F.-A. (2001) EMBO J. 20, 3623-3630
- Kruse, O. (2001) Naturwissenschaften 88, 284-289
- Haldrup, A. et al. (2001) Trends Plant Sci., 6, 301-305
- Dubé, S., Davison, P.A. and Allen, J. F. (unpublished)
- Allen, J. F. and Forsberg, J. (2001) Trends Plant Sci. 6, 317-326
- Nilsson, A. et al. (1997) JBC 272, 18350-18357
- Pfannschmidt, T. et al. (1999) Nature 397, 625-628
- Allen, J. F. (1993) J. Theor. Biol. 165, 609-631
- Sullivan, J. A., Gray, J.C., Rosenquist, M., Forsberg, J., Allen, J. F. (unpublished)
- Forsberg, J. et al. (2001) Biochem. Soc. Trans. 29, 403-407
- Race, H. L., Herrmann, R. G. and Martin, W. (1999) Trends Genet. 15, 364-370
Additional references for the Drummond lecture.
- Blankenship, R. E. (2002) Molecular Mechanisms of Photosynthesis. Blackwell Science, Oxford
- Heathcote, P. et el. (2002) Trends Biochem. Sci. 27, 79-87
- Forsberg, J. (2002) PhD thesis. Lund University
- Crofts, A.R. et al. (1998) In Proceedings of the IXth. International Symposium on Phototrophic Prokaryotes, Vienna, (Peschek G., ed.)
- Allen, J. F. (1996) J. Theor. Biol. 180, 135-140
If you like, you can get some of our own references in pdf format from Publications of John F. Allen
Here is a page containing the Qo site movie the PowerPoint file (Drummond lecture) will ask for.
Light, time and micro-organisms. Tony Crofts's mechanism for bifurcated electron transfer at the Qo site of cytochrome b-c1 complexes
Here is a link to a page announcing a relevant meeting in London, June 26-28 2002.
Royal Society Discussion Meeting on chloroplasts and mitochondria.
Thank you for your interest.
John F. Allen
1st September 2001, revised 9th March 2002 and 10 September 2007